Bean and Vegetable Ragout:
- 1 cup cooked white kidney beans
- 1 cups roasted mixed vegetables (pearl onions, zucchini, peppers, sweet potato. rutabaga, squash, and carrots- rough chopped and rotted in the oven with fresh thyme, garlic and olive oil)
For the Ribs:
- 8 pieces- 3 inch cut beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh leeks
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup dice celery
- 1 cup diced parsnip
- 1 tbsp. garlic – minced
- 5 cups beef or veal stock
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 3 tbsp, fresh parsley chopped
- 2 -3 tbsp. tomato pate
- 1.5 Litres red wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped bitter chocolate
- 3 oz bourbon
- 1tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
For the bean and vegetable ragout:
1 – Sauté the cooked beans with the roasted vegetables – deglaze with brown stock and add the fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper.Place the bean and vegetable ragout into a large pasta plate- top with the braised ribs and garnish with crisped onions and herbs. Serve.
For the ribs:
1 – Sear the dried beef ribs in the olive oil until dark brown, remove from the pan. Sauté the vegetables in the pan drippings for 4 minutes. Add the beef ribs back to the pan and deglaze with wine and stock. Add the fresh herbs, tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.
2 – Cover the pan with a lid and braise in a pre-heated 380 degree oven until ribs are tender 2-3 hours.Remove from heat and remove ribs. Thicken the sauce with flour and season if necessary. Just before service add the chopped chocolate, bourbon and fresh rosemary.
3 – Serve the braised ribs with the sauce and vegetable & bean sauté.